The organizers of the 12th International Conference on Mercury as a Global Pollutant (ICMGP) welcome proposals to host the ICMGP 2019.
The ICMGP is a scientific conference that provides an open venue for discussing recent advances in science and policy related to local, regional and global mercury issues. The ICMGP has no formal parent society, is organized by volunteers, and does not include staff or a governing committee. As a result, conference hosts are responsible for:
- Covering the costs of their conference through funds raised by sponsorships, donations and conference registration fees;
- Establishing a Scientific Steering Committee consisting of global mercury experts who oversee development of the technical program (including past and subsequent conference hosts to maintain continuity among meetings);
- Establishing a Local Organizing Committee with volunteers who have experience with regional mercury research and policy issues;
- Running a successful conference that will attract mercury experts from around the globe.
Interested applicants should be professionals with a strong background in mercury research and/or policy development. Please submit a proposal clearly addressing the following criteria:
- Ability to organize a major scientific meeting
- Familiarity with past ICMGP meetings, important functions and technical emphasis
- A conference theme that guides the feel of the conference
- A destination city that that is vibrant, of interest to the international community, easily accessible to international visitors and reasonably priced
- Relevance of the proposed location to global mercury issues
- A conference venue that can hold the projected participant numbers (generally between 400 and 900 people, depending on location), has appropriate facilities and which is available during the proposed dates in 2019
- Ability to successfully fund the conference with a mix of sponsorship and reasonable registration fees (proposal should include a list of potential sponsors)
- Demonstrated support of employers and/or governments
The submitted proposals will be reviewed and the successful candidate will be selected by the 12th ICMGP Scientific Steering Committee. The successful candidate will be contacted via e-mail or phone by April 15, 2015 and will be asked to make a short presentation during the 12th ICMGP Scientific Steering Committee meeting. The final winner will be announced right after the SSC meeting and will make a short presentation as the host city of ICMGP 2019 during the closing ceremony of the 12th ICMGP in Jeju Island.
Please submit bids to ICMGP 2015 Secretariat (email@example.com) by April 1, 2015.